Friday 19 February 2016

Industrial for Vintage Journey

I was very pleased to receive a Pinworthy Mention from A Vintage Journey recently and be asked to be Guest Designer.  Now, the theme is Industrial, which is so far outside my comfort zone my immediate reaction was to say 'no thank you,!  I thought about it though and decided to go for it which is really scary as I know everyone else who is either on the DT or enters, will be far better than me at this theme but here goes!  It was really hard to photograph too!


I started by randomly covering a square piece of card with pieces of the silver sticky tape you can buy from DIY stores.  Then I used a ruler and an embossing tool to score across all the lines where the tape crossed and using stencils or freehand, I added detail to each section.  When complete, I went over the whole thing with Sunshine Yellow, Butterscotch and Stream Alcohol Inks using a blending tool.  I then added black Distress Paint to dirty it up and rubbed it back with a soft cloth.  The butterfly is from Sizzix Flights of Fancy set and is a Sizzlits die which I cut with my Big Shot them embossed with Tim Holtz Alternations embossing folder then hit it with lots of the Purple Twilight and some Stream Alcohol Ink.  Here is a close up picture to show some of the detail:



The layer behind is silver card coloured with the same Alcohol Inks.  The corner brads are not overly industrial but the colour matched so I used them anyway and I added silver brads to the buttlerfly body and wings.  I used a sentiment from IndigoBlu which I rough cut out and distressed with Salty Ocean, Scattered Straw and Seedless Preserves Distress Inks.  The 'miracle' was me actually completing this, I found it more difficult than any card I have ever done!  It was good to have a try at something so different though!

Please join in with the fab Industrial Challenge at A Vintage Journey - if you love all things
Tim Holtz,you will love this blog!

Thank you so much for visiting me, I really appreciate it!  Take Care.  Christine xxx

19 comments:

Maggie said...

Fabulous Industrial card Chris love the butterfly in rich purple too, it is lovely to be traveling with you today at AVJ.
MaggieH

chrissie said...

Wonderful sample with great and inspiring ideas. Congratulations on being chosen

Love Chrissie xx

Redanne said...

Wow Chris, this is such an impressive piece of industrial crafting! I love how you created the background, such a clever idea and it is so effective. As for the butterfly, it is stunning! You have done a wonderful job on this, I am so glad you did not say 'No'! It has been lovely having you as a Guest Designer at A Vintage Journey - well done too for trying something outside your comfort zone! Hugs, Anne xx

Barb said...

Congratulations on your Guest Designer post. Your card is absolutely fantastic Chris. I love how you've embossed in different sections too. A great piece of work, Very impressive and I love your butterfly. Barbxx

alexandra s.m. said...

Oh I love your take on the theme Chris and these purple tones are fabulous!!
Thank You~

Jane said...

Hi Chris great to be a fellow GD with you today...I agree my first thought with the theme was no way but it's always good to work outside your comfort zone sometimes. Your card is lovely, the butterfly works so well xx

Darnell said...

Well, obviously, you didn't give yourself enough credit, Chris, because this industrial card is OUTSTANDING!!!! You are more than worthy of being the guest designer and I imagine you will be asked again and again!! Incredible card!! Enjoy your day! Hugs, Darnell

sarascloset said...

Chris, I had your same feelings like a deflated balloon when I heard the challenge theme, but I forged ahead. And I'm so glad you did, too, because I would have never guessed you felt uncomfortable at all with the technique. I always find it best to just let go in a creative sense, and I judge you did the same. Your fantastic creativity shows through in this beautiful work of art! I love how you've really used those alcohol inks on every part of your card. Lovely! And congratulations on your Guest spot; so happy to be creating along side you! Your comment on my blog just made my day! Hugs!

Deb said...

Christine, you would never know that Industrial is outside your comfort zone, what a fabulous card you created for the challenge at A Vintage Journey! Love your background and your 'riveted' butterfly is spectacular. Thanks so much for sharing it with us and congratulations on your feature at AVJ! Deb xo

Princess Judy Palmer said...

WOW! Very industrial with a touch of steampunk whimsy. That background you created on the tape is really something else. What a cool, cool card!

Anita in France said...

Congratulations on your GD spot, Chris ... and on such a spectacular card! You captured 'industrial' so brilliantly ... such wonderful shimmer, shine, texture and a most gorgeous butterfly! Your step outside your comfort zone was definitely a big success! Thanks so much for your lovely birthday wishes! Hugs, Anita :)

Jester said...

Well, I think you hit the mark, Chris. Very industrial! A wonderful background and the butterfly looks so good against it. Jx

LesleyG said...

Woweee what an amazing card, and so brave of you to even tackle 'industrial'.....I'd have run a mile! Love how you did it, TFS the steps, very inspiring indeed! xxx

Sandy said...

You always have the best texture - I want to do more with alcohol inks and you definitely have urged me on!! You also make me want to experiment more but I just don't think my designs could be nearly as good as what you have done here!
Sandy xx

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Wow, Chris, I just lve what you did to the background with the tape and hand scoring etc, it's truly brilliant, congrats on your GDT too, Shaz in Oz.x

scrappymo! said...

So much gorgeous texture and shimmer!

Liz McGuire, said...

Its spot on for the challenge, really cool card, Liz x

Words and Pictures said...

Love your inky metallic butterfly - great to have you along for the ride at A Vintage Journey this month.
Alison x

Brenda Brown said...

Chris this is a fabulous project and not one that I would have thought you'd struggled with, you have got tyhe insustrial feel to it through and through. Well done on stepping out of yout comfort zone and creating something so special for us at AVJ and thank you for sharing your inspirational project with us and for all your support.
hugs Brenda xx