Friday 28 July 2017

Orla The Owl!

Hello from a rainy Bournemouth!  Its so nice of you to visit my blog, I really appreciate it!  I made today's card especially for my fabulous big brother, Lloyd's birthday - he is seventy today!  Happy Birthday Lloyd!  I spoke to him this morning and he enjoys his big birthdays as much as I do.  I will be 60 next month so I am already looking forward to my biggie too!


Its the first time I have used this fabulous stamp set by Hobbyart called Orla Owl - its a fab set with lots of extras to go with the stunning owl stamp.  Orla is stamped on watercolour card with onyx black Versafine and embossed with clear powder then I watercoloured the image with various Distress Inks and Distress Markers.  I fussy cut the image out and edged with a black marker to hide the white edges.  The moon from the set is stamped on yellow card with Golden Glitz Delicata ink and fussy cut out.  The fence posts, also from the set, were stamped using Coffee Archival then watercoloured with Distress inks and again cut out and edged with a brown marker.

For the background I used Brushos.  I am pretty sure it was Cobolt Blue for the sky and Light Brown for the land.  I used watercolour card and, to give me more control, I spritzed with water first then tapped on the Brushos so I could see exactly when to stop.  When the panel was completely dry, I stamped one of the ferns from the set in Vintage Sepia Versafine using first, second and third generation stamping for depth.  I edged the whole panel with a brown Distress Ink, I can't remember which one.  The moon was adhered first then, as shown by Jenny Mayes on Hochanda. I used a large embossing tool from the back of Orla's wings to stretch the fibres then used glue gel to give the wings shape and flat glue for the rest of Orla.  Its looks cool in real life but you can't see it so well in the photo.  I used some string for the fence, sticking it to the reverse of the piece with tape then adding the posts with foam tape pieces. I then used foam tape to adhere the whole piece to a black card base. This card was a bit adventurous for me!  I am pleased to say, Lloyd liked it!  Yay! So did my lovely Sister in Law, Margery, and she is a proper artist!

I would like to enter the following challenges:

Penny Black and More - For the Boys
Country View Challenges - Things with Wings
Pixie's Snippet's Playground - Use Snippets - mine were the yellow card for the moon and the watercolour card for the fence posts.
Bizzy Becs - Anything Goes.
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge - Anything Goes.

I love all these challenges, they give so much inspiration and fun!

Thank you again for stopping by.  Take care.  Christine xxx




20 comments:

chrissie said...

A really striking card for your brother Christine I am sure he will love it.

Hope you both have happy birthdays

Love Chrissie xx

Jane said...

What a stunning card Christine..amazing owl and super background too. This is perfect for my things with wings challenge I'm hosting over at Country View. Thanks so much for joining in with the fun xx

Barb said...

Happy Birthday to Lloyd and I bet he's over the moon with your gorgeous card Chris. What a great owl. I love the way you've coloured Orla in and great fussy cutting too. The background looks super and I really like the way you've added the twine to the fence panels -a very clever idea. Barbxx

Redanne said...

The owl is just stunning against the gorgeous blue sky and those subtle trees in the background (I need lessons from you on how to use Brushos properly!!). Such a beautiful card, no wonder your brother was thrilled with it! Hugs, Anne xx

Darnell said...

This is extraordinary, Chris! I'm sure Lloyd was thrilled with it and Happy Belated Birthday to him! Hugs, Darnell

brenda said...

It's rainy here as well Chris, what happened to Summer ?

The owl image is fabulous and makes for a great masculine card, many thanks for sharing with us at Penny Black and More challenge.

B x

Jester said...

I hope you are having lots of special events to celebrate these big birthdays, Chris! The card you made for your brother is stunning. I can see you put a lot of effort into it. A special card for a special birthday! Jx

Teresa Kline said...

wow, amazing coloring...great job! I am so glad you played along with us at simon says stamp wednesday challenge!

blog-paperie blooms
ig-2klines

sparkle & shine, kindness *~*

Anita in France said...

Your detailing on that amazing owl is fantastic, Chris ... what an atmospheric scene ... no wonder your brother loved it! Hugs, Anita :)

Di said...

Oh gosh - what a fabulous card Chris! The owl looks ready to land right on my shoulder. Lovely to see you in the Snippets Playground my little (albeit taller) friend!

Hugs

Di xx

Sue said...

What an amazing card Chris, of course your brother loved it! Thank you so much for sharing with us at Country View Crafts. Have a fun week, Sue xx

Ellibelle said...

Stunning creation! Thanks so much for sharing at Penny Black and More!

Mia said...

It is a fabulous card, Chris! So original! I love your beautiful owl! Kisses, my friend.

Anne said...

Amazing card Chris, I'm sure Lloyd loved it
I've looked at this stamp set but not really seen it used yet, it's a fantastic image and I love how you used the Brusho's
Anne x

Unknown said...

Fabulous card I bet your brother loved it x

Mrs A. said...

Now then. There are no proper artists.! We are all artists in what we make and do. If we have created then we are an artist. This is absolutely stunning. Your colouring of Orla is superb. Just been doing the dreaded ironing today in three batches as
I can't do it standing up for too long at a time on the spot. Just sitting in the garden now having a well earned glass of wine listening to the Magpies having a stand off between two families wanting the same tree for the night. Hugs Mrs A.

rachel said...

This is a stunning make Chris - a really fabulous owl that you have used beautifully! Lovely! Hugs rachel x

Karen Dunbrook said...

wow Chris...amazing!! Sure your brother LOVED it..
xx Karen

Marina said...

Beautiful card, rich in detail.

Sharon Fritchman said...

WOW, Chris! This card is absolutely gorgeous. The owl and all of the details look amazing. Happy 70th birthday to your brother! And you have a big one coming up, too. I turned 60 this past Sept - it's a good club to be in!!!!!